Monday, January 12, 2009

Following my bliss


For several years I've been toying with the idea of writing a book. I did my master's thesis on the life and work of one of Mozart's favorite sopranos, Anna "Nancy" Storace, and my graduate committee chair wanted me to write a biography on her. Since her home was in London, and her career played out in Italy, Austria, and England, to write a good biography would necessitate that I spend time in all of those places researching and combing through stacks of articles and such. Since I don't have the time, inclination, or the funds to indulge in such a venture, I've decided that I'm going to take the information I have already, (which is a lot), and write a novel based on her love relationship with Mozart. I think I want it to be a Jane Austen type love story, but it won't have a totally happy ending, (she left Vienna and went back to London, and he died), and it will have sex. Yeah, it's going to be sexy--not a slimy romance novel "bodice-ripper"--but most definitely hot and steamy.

I've wanted for a long time to tell Nancy's story, and now I've made up my mind that I'm just going to do it. I'm really excited about this.

2 comments :

  1. I'm excited for you! Somehow, once you resolve to do it and start it, it becomes a part of you-a journey you know you must complete. We can keep each other posted on how its going. By the way, I have 21 chapters done now, with about 3 others waiting for me to have time to type.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And when it's published, I'll build the website!

    ReplyDelete