Sunday, January 4, 2009

My resting place



We find rest in those we love, and we provide a resting place in ourselves for those who love us.


Du bist die Ruh, Der Friede mild,
Thou art rest and gentle peace,

Die Sehnsucht du und was sie stillt.
Thou art longing, and that which stills it.

Ich weihe dir voll Lust und Schmerz
I consecrate to thee, with my joys and griefs,

Zur Wohnung hier mein Aug und Herz.
As thy dwelling-place, my eyes and heart.

Kehr ein bei mir, und schließe du
Enter into me and close thou

Still hinter dir die Pforten zu.
The gates softly behind thee:

Treib andern Schmerz aus dieser Brust!
Drive other griefs from this breast,

Voll sei dies Herz von deiner Lust.
Let this heart be filled with thy joys.

Dies Augenzelt von deinem Glanz
My world of sight thy radiance

Allein erhellt,
Alone can illuminate.

O füll es ganz!
Oh, fill it to the fullest!



2 comments :

  1. Now Schubert has been one of my favourites for quite a while. I watched an excellent,(serious), film called Carrington, which used the String quintet in C major, and from there I drew on the library's CD collection

    I have never been a teacher. I am a student and gladly submit to your blog persona as my teacher.

    Thank you for being out there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The excellent film, "Barry Lyndon" makes use of Schubert's Piano Trio in E flat. Great film, and a great piano trio!

    Being a singer, I've always been quite partial to Schubert seeing that he is the "King of the Lied". However, most, if not all of his Lieder were composed for one specific baritone and are very masculine in attitude and tone, therefore I have to pick and choose the ones most appropriate for myself. "Du bist die Ruh" is just one of those. I wanted to sing it to Steph in our Holy Union service, however, our minister wouldn't allow any secular music so that idea was nixed. (My graduate opera coach ended up singing the "Laudate dominum" from the Mozart Solemn Vespers. There wasn't a dry eye in the entire sanctuary.)

    I'm honoured, Marc, that you would hold my opinions on such things in such high regard. :)

    ReplyDelete